Monday, July 16, 2012

Steel for coal

I joined another outing to a special place I did not understand.
When we arrived, I saw this and didn't understand anything. Why did we come here to go and look at an oversized, strange and rickety looking ironing board?

Well, I did understand this thingamagiggy after my visit to the museum. This was a huge coal excarvator transport system, rather like the baggage conveyor belts from the airport.

So you can understand this a bit better, here is a cross cut through the open surface mining pit.

The big thingy in the middle is the F60 conveyor, only here the pit was filled with water, to become a camping with lake park. Lots of steel to move the dug out coal to be moved away.



Up and Up
Here you can see the future lake.

Here are the engines to move the huge beast, quite unbelievable.

Looking down from the very top, back down the conveyor belt.

A view from the side and top, looking at the track laying train at the very bottom on the right.

Here I am at the very end and right at the top, which is at the very right on the first picture.

And here I'm back at the bottom, having a look from the other end. If you want to see more, you can visit the website: F60


And this is my new friend, Lona. She was waiting for me to go outside, as you can obviously see from the look on her face.